Thursday, November 12, 2009

Xgrid: writeup

I have written an account of what I learned about Xgrid, and how I used it for a "proof of principle" running BLAST on a single machine grid. You can get it from here.

[ UPDATE: I ran into an issue with the links. The document was composed in Text Edit (rtfd format) and then saved as PDF. Many but not all of the links showed up correctly and were active in Text Edit, and showed up but did not work in the PDF. By looking at the source, I found that the ones which worked correctly had


{
\field
{
\*\fldinst
{
HYPERLINK "http://telliott99.blogspot.com/2009/11/xgrid-baby-steps.html"
}
}
{
\fldrslt \cf2 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \ul \ulc2
http://telliott99.blogspot.com/2009/11/xgrid-baby-steps.html
}
}


(my formatting)

A little testing showed that it's the \ul calls in the second section that make this a link in the pdf, the other stuff makes the text blue. So I added \ul \ulc2 to all links by hand and it seems to work, with the exception of a multi-line link to the Apple docs for Xgrid, which is split into two separate links and is now broken. If you need it, that link is here.]